SOJOURN’s Welcoming Communities Project helps regional synagogues, schools, agencies, and entire communities become welcoming places for GSD (Gender and Sexually Diverse) Jews in both theory and practice.
Our 6 to 18-month program guides your community through an intentional process to ensure that every Jew not only feels welcome in your community, but your community feels comfortable in welcoming them.
SOJOURN staff works with your volunteer leaders, board members, staff, educators, and clergy in very specific areas including:
- Ensure organizations and stakeholders understand the program and are committed to becoming advocates in the community
- Create welcoming language for your website, marketing materials, and by-laws
- Review administrative documents (intake, membership) for inclusive language
- Expand and update the agency’s non-discrimination policy
- Conduct at least two community-wide seminars or educational workshops
- Integrate inclusive language into (worship) content and educational curricula
- Support equality efforts for GSD people outside of the agency
- Affirm that synagogue clergy perform life-cycle rituals for GSD Jews
Being welcoming is more than simply saying “We’re welcoming.”
If you're interested in our Welcoming Communities Program for your congregation, school, or organization, please email McKenzie at [email protected]